Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where do I pay my water bill and taxes? In the Town Administration office, 40 Water Street, Pictou. Bill payment options include: cash, cheque, online and telephone banking. Tax billing is twice a year (tax year is April 1 - March 31) and water billing is four times a year (subject to change).
2. Who do I call about road, water, or sewer problems on the weekend? Call the Public Works department at 485-5390 and you will be redirected to an emergency number.
3. Who do I contact regarding unsightly properties or miscellaneous complaints? Contact the Town Administration Office at 485-4372.
4. If there is a street light outage who do I call? Contact Nova Scotia Power at 1-877-428-6004. To report a street light outage online <click here>
5. I found a stray dog in Town, who should I call for help? Contact the Town of Pictou at 485-4372. To report animal abuse, contact the SPCA at 396-3595.
6. When is garbage/recycling pick-up in the Town of Pictou? Every second Wednesday morning.
7. What can I recycle/compost in the Town of Pictou? Stop by the Town Admin. office for a recycling guide, or check the RRFB website www.rrfb.com
8. Where do I go to check land and deed information in the area? The Registry of Deeds is located in the Pictou County Municipal Building on 46 Municipal Drive, Pictou or you may call 485-4223 .
9. What is the skating schedule? Call the Hector Arena at 485-5122 or check the Arena page
10. What is the pool schedule? Call the Fisheries Training Pool 485-5301 or check the pool page
11. I live in the Town of Pictou, who is my MLA? Charlie Parker, M.L.A. (NDP) His office is located on Water Street, in Pictou. Ph: 485-4550
12. I live in the Town of Pictou, who is my MP? The Honourable Peter MacKay, M.P., (C) Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of ACOA, His office is located on East River Road, in New Glasgow. Ph: 752-0226.
13. What is the ferry schedule to/from PEI? The caribou ferry is only a 10 minute drive from The Town of Pictou. For ferry schedules pick up a brochure at any Visitor Information Centre in the area, or check the Northumberland Ferries Ltd. website www.nfl-bay.com
14. How do I make a donation to the Ship Hector? The Ship Hector Foundation helps to raise funds for construction and maintenance of the ship for further info email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also donate online at www.shiphectorfoundation.com
15. Who do I contact to get a Building Permit for the Town of Pictou? You may contact the Pictou County District Planning Commission at 755-1390.
16. When is the Pictou Lobster Carnival? The Lobster Carnival is normally held each year on the first full weekend in July after Canada Day. Contact by email or 902-485-5150 for information.
17. Where can I buy fresh lobster? The Pictou Sobeys store carries lobster year round. Local in-season (May-June) lobster can be purchased on Caladh Avenue at Kimo's Lobster Shop.