Pictou Recreation & Parks
The Town of Pictou is a Registered HIGH FIVE® Organization.
Pictou Recreation and Parks is responsible for the management of the Visitor's Marina, the Fisheries Training Pool, Broidy Park and two other Town parks, the Jitney Trail and four sport fields including supporting facilities. Pictou Recreation and Parks also coordinates recreational programs, such as swimming lessons, water safety, summer day camps, and youth activity programs. Throughout the year Pictou Recreation and Parks organizes special interest programs such as photography, art and self-defence classes.
Department activities also include communications for the Town of Pictou, managing the website and social media, and coordinating community events such as Canada Day, Natal Day, Christmas Light-up, Volunteer Banquet, the Summer Musical Showcase, and assisting with occasional special events such as the MORE Run.As well, cruise development at the Port of Pictou falls under the umbrella of the Pictou Recreation and Parks staff and the Public Works department.
The Pictou Recreation and Parks mission is to achieve acceptable results in the following areas by providing advice and assistance, utilizing community assets and partnerships, and by providing direct programs, services and facilities.
Result areas are:
- Public Participation
- Quality of Facilities
- Organizational Effectiveness
- Equity of Access
- Community Capacity
- Community Pride and Safety
Aquatics - continue reading
Recreation Programs - continue reading
Facilities, Parks, Trails - continue reading
Fields & Rentals - continue reading
Marina - continue reading
Self Directed Recreation Opportunities & Ideas - continue reading
Town of Pictou's Healthy Eating Policy
The purpose of this policy is to create supportive environments for healthy eating practices within the Town of Pictou to promote optimal health. This policy has five main objectives:
1) Support a cultural shift towards healthy foods and beverages.
2) Increase access to, consumption of, and promotion of healthy food and beverages.
3) Decrease access to, consumption of, and promotion of unhealthy foods and beverages.
4) Create an environment that promotes overall health, with a focus on healthy eating.
5) Supports provided to other affiliated organizations and partners efforts towards healthy eating policy development and implementation (e.g. community groups, athletic organizations, etc.).
Download the Town's Healthy Eating Policy <HERE>
Pictou Recreation & Parks
40 Water Street, P.O. Box 640 Pictou, NS, B0K 1H0
Ph: 902-485-4372 Fax: 902-485-8110 Toll Free: 1-877-574-2868