- Pictou Recreation and Parks
- Recreation at Home....Ways to Keep Active
- Local Groups and Individuals
- Mental Health
- Sports at Home
- Special Interests and Discovery
- Access the Library at Home
Keep watch on the website or Facebook for updates
Updated: December 20, 2021
|Facilities Open||Pictou Fisheries Training Pool
Sports fields - open to group play/bookings
Playgrounds (Broidy Park, Veterans Drive, Pine Street)
Walk N Roll Sessions - will be postponed to mid February 2022
|Jitney Trail||Open for walkers; practice social distancing; stay 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people. If you are unwell please refrain from using the trail.|
Daily movement is important, here are some fun ideas for individuals, with your family or partner.
Chair Exercise with Sharon Lynch
YThrive Home Virtual Workouts & YMCA Group Mossa Power Classes
Exercise videos for all ages; free anytime, anywhere at YMCA at Home on YouTube.
YMCA 360 On-Demand Workouts
For details go to YMCA360
Backyard Activities By Hike Nova Scotia - Re-Connect with Nature at Hike Nova Scotia Blog.
Your Way to Wellness - Nova Scotia Health Authority
Tools to live well with chronic conditions - online workshops at Your Way to Wellness.
Hike Nova Scotia - Hiker Challenge
Prizes and badges; themed challenges for all at Hiker Challenge.
Hike Nova Scotia - ReConnect with Nature Activities
for your backyard and other outdoor spaces at Hike Nova Scotia Blog.
Kids Run Club - 8 Week Challenge; 2-5km
Mile Happy Walk at Home Workout
Joe Wicks Free Daily Workouts
For kids, seniors, everyone! Go to The Body Coach TV on YouTube.
Cosmic Kids Yoga
15-30 minute sessions based on stories and your favourite characters at Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube.
57 Awesome Dance Party Jams - by Active for Life
Rehab 4 Addiction
A guide about guarding mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ARK Behavioral Health + - COVID 19 Mental Health and Addiction Resources
- Addictions Resource: Drug & Alcohol Abuse Hotlines | 24/7 And Confidential
Online training and skill development
- Free Footie Online - soccer skills online, Instagram, Facebook, or TV Channel check it out at FreePlay for Kids
- Kids Run Club - Let's Keep Moving Campaign - follow them on Instagram for daily challenges; a Doctors Nova Scotia Healthy Tomorrow Foundation activity.
- Tumblebugs at Home by Annapolis Valley Recreation Sta(y)cation - Ages 3+yrs at Home Edition Tumblebugs on YouTube
- NCCP Coaching Courses Online - Baseball Canada NCCP
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Home Study Program - various courses to choose from; Competition Introduction and Competition Development levels at NCCP Home Study
More activities will be added as they become available.
Spending more time at home can be a time to explore and expand on your interests and skills, here are a couple of ideas to fill your day or enjoy a new activity with your family.
Maple Murples’s Popping Purple Wordspinning World - Join Sheree Fitch, poet, author and storyteller from River John in an online Journey of imagination and creativity at Maple Murples’s Popping Purple Wordspinning World
Canada’s National Ballet School - Bring Dance Into Your Home, Free Resources for all Ages at Community Dance
Brilliant Labs (a not-for-profit, hands-on technology and experiential learning platform based in Atlantic Canada) - join them every day at 10 am for a new make at home activity or 1 pm for an outdoor activity. Go to Brilliant Labs.
Lunch Doodles with Mo Williams - Learn to draw with a notable illustrator, Mo Willems.
- BOKS Canada resources
- Active for Life kids activities
- OPHEA resources
- Simple STEM Activities to do at Home
All the library services online are free - from downloadable or streaming eBooks, eAudiobooks & eMagazines for all ages (Tumblebooks to OverDrive, and RB Digital), to language learning programs, and a few other information/database sources and some new services coming soon! These online services do require a library card to access (your library card # + a passcode)... and can be under Collections, Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library.
If you need a free library card, please call/text the library, at 902-759-2310, Monday to Friday, 10 am to 3 pm.
There is a lot of other informational resources on our webpage, under Subject Resources, including the Health & Wellness section. Also included, is access to the digital copy of all/most of the NSHA pamphlets too (in the regular library collection, online), at Health & Wellness Resources.
Check out the Libraries Social Media accounts to share information about other free, online resources and activities for Stay-at-Home... for all ages. From author readings to gardening tips, mental wellness, crafts & more!
In your own backyard...
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt
- Create nature art, build a bird feeder
- Start an indoor garden...tip: start planting late spring
- Go for a daily walk around the block
- Exercise with your pet
- Light up your house with Christmas lights, brighten your neighbourhood
- Create a bear hunt activity, go online and find out how
- Become a chalk artist; your driveway is your canvas
- Find a favourite family recipe and cook together